Steps to Borrow a Student Loan
To borrow a student loan, you must:
- File your FAFSA, and complete your financial aid file at ACTC;
- Meet all ACTC Admission requirements;
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress and;
- Enroll (and remain enrolled) for at least 6 credit hours in the term for which you are borrowing the student loan.
Steps to Process a Student Loan:
1) Complete the Online Loan Entrance Counseling if you have not done so previously for ACTC.
2) E-sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) using the same PIN you used to sign your FAFSA, if you have not done so previously for ACTC.
3) Once your financial aid file has been completed at ACTC, to borrow student loans you will complete the following steps:
- Log into your KCTCS Student Self-Service by going to MyPath
- Click on the hyperlink Loan Request found under Finances
- Note: You may cancel your request at any time before submitting the final step.
- Verify student information:
- Home Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
*If changes need to be made, click the change hyperlink under the field you need to update
- Check box to confirm information is correct and click Continue
- Read Loan Request Acknowledgment Statements
- Check box to confirm, and click Continue
- Confirm that you are/are not interested in a student loan by clicking Yes or No and Submit.
- Enter the amount of student loan you would like to request in the Requesting Loan Amount box.
- Click Submit
If you need additional information on how to borrow a loan, please see our Direct Loan Steps to Borrowing.
*You can view the Department of Education publication "Federal Student Loans Basics for Students (pdf)" for more information on borrowing loans. This booklet will help borrowers understand the federal student loan process and help make informed decisions about student loans. This booklet is available in hard-copy in the ACTC Office of Financial Aid.
*The Terms and Conditions and the Rights and Responsibilities of Federal Student Loans are listed on the Master Promissory Note (MPN), which is signed by the borrower who is accepting the loan. If you would like to review this information before borrowing a loan, you can view a sample MPN for Federal Stafford or Federal PLUS loans here. This MPN also provides a sample loan repayment schedule and the necessity for repaying any loans you borrow. (Please note: If you want to borrow a student loan, and need to sign your MPN, please see the website in step 2 above.)
Loan Exit Counseling
Once you have graduated, dropped below half-time status, or have stopped attending school, a loan borrower is required to complete Loan Exit Counseling. Please note: even if you do not complete Exit Counseling, you are still responsible for re-paying the loan, as detailed in the Master Promissory Note.