Associate in Applied Science
Program Coordinator: Heather Cantrell, CST
Program Website: https://ashland.kctcs.edu/education-training/program-finder/surgical-technology.aspx
Students must meet college readiness benchmarks as identified by the Council on Postsecondary Education or remedy the identified skill deficiencies.
This is a Selective Admissions program.
All courses listed in First and Second Semesters are prerequisites to the Surgical Technology courses.
Semester Course Schedule
|MAT 110 Applied Mathematics OR Higher-Level
|BIO 137 Human Anatomy and Physiology I w/Lab||4|
|ENG 101 Writing I||3|
|Social or Behavioral Science course||3|
|Heritage or Humanities course||3|
|BIO 139 Human Anatomy and Physiology II w/Lab
Prerequisite: BIO 137
|AHS 115 OR CLA 131 OR MIT 103 Medical Terminology||3|
|BIO 118 Microbes and Society OR BIO 225 Medical
Microbiology OR BIO 226 Principles of Microbiology
Note: BIO 225 requires completion of BIO 139. BIO 118 or BIO 226 recommended.
Note: Admission to the Surgical Technology program required for all SUR classes
|SUR 100 Surgical Technology Fundamentals Theory||12|
|SUR 102 Surgical Technology Fundamentals Lab||3|
|SUR 125 Surgical Technology Skills Practicum I||2|
|SUR 202 Surgical Technology Advanced Theory||11|
|SUR 201 Surgical Technology Skills Practicum II||6|
|SUR 275 Technology Advanced Practicum||2|
|Total Credit Hours for Degree||62-66|
- 25% or more of Total Degree Credit Hours must be earned at ACTC
- Cumulative GPA must be 2.0 or higher
The Surgical Technology program is a selective admissions program which admits students in the Spring semester. Students who start SUR courses in the Spring semester must be enrolled in the Spring and Fall semesters.
The deadline for applying to begin the program in the Spring semester is October 1.
See the program website at https://ashland.kctcs.edu/education-training/program-finder/surgical-technology.aspx for selective admission information and mandatory pre-admission conference dates.
It is mandatory that students attend a pre-admission conference prior to application to understand the program and the selective admissions process.
The selective admission criteria are based on Anatomy & Physiology, Digital Literacy, Microbiology, and Medical Terminology grades as well as cumulative GPA. The grades in those courses will be granted certain point values and then the cumulative GPA will be added to that score and the selection will be based on the total.
*Digital literacy must be demonstrated either by competency exam (IC3 Fast Track Exam) or by completing a digital literacy course such as CIT 105 Introduction to Computing or OST 105 Introduction to Information Systems.
- All non-SUR courses must be completed before beginning the first semester of SUR courses.
- Non-SUR courses can be taken in any order.
- Students must earn a grade of “C” or higher in each course required for the degree.
- The SUR courses in this program require attendance in two semesters (Fall and Spring). This program requires fulltime attendance 5 days each week once SUR courses start.
- CPR certification for the healthcare provider (BLS) must be obtained prior to enrolling in SUR 100 and must be kept current throughout the program.
- The Surgical Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs and graduates are eligible to take the certifying examination offered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
- Curriculum within KCTCS is reviewed and updated to ensure quality and relevance. This curriculum plan should be used only as a guide for meeting the course requirements for each credential. See the KCTCS catalog for specifics and consult your advisor.
Revised December 3, 2020