What is Medical Information Technology?
Medical Information Technology graduates prepare medical records and reports, maintain paper and electronic files, order supplies, perform accounting procedures, work with medical insurance and coding, and receive patients in a variety of health care settings. Some of the diplomas include Medical Administrative Assistant, Medical Insurance Coder, Electronic Medical Records, and Medical Compliance. Students enrolled in the degree or diploma programs are required to do an internship or capstone course.
What are my career options?
The healthcare industry employs more people than any other industrysector in the area. Graduates are employed in hospitals, professional medical offices and with medical insurance companies.
|Medical Information Career||Median Annual
SalaryⓘBased on research conducted by the Kentucky Center for Education and Workforce Statistics (KCEWS) in 2016 for the state of Kentucky.
|Medical Administrative Assistant||$29,522|
|Medical Unit Coordinator||$29,522|
|Hospital Admissions Specialist||$29,522|
|Electronic Health Records Specialist||$34,842|
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
- Associate in Applied Science - Medical Coding
- Associate in Applied Science - Electronic Medical Records
- Associate in Applied Science - Medical Office Management
- Associate in Applied Science - Medical Administrative
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Medical Records Specialist | Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
- Electronic Health Records Specialist | Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
- Hospital Admission Specialist | Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
- Medical Coding
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Unit Coordinator | Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
|Medical Receptionist: 15 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Medical Coding: 22 Total credit hours|
|Medical Transcriptionist: 24 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Medical Scribe: 28 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Electronic Health Records Specialist: 28 - 30 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Hospital Admissions Specialist: 30 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Medical Unit Coordinator : 31 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Medical Administrative Assistant : 49 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.