What is Diesel Technology?
Modern diesel engines require highly skilled mechanics to repair and maintain them. The diesel Technology programprovides students with the skills needed to analyze malfunctions, repair, rebuild and maintain construction equipment, agriculture equipment, andmedium and heavy trucks. Students are provided instruction and experience in systems such as diesel engines, fuel injection, onboard computers, transmissions, steering and suspension, and brakes.
What are my career choices?
Most diesel mechanics and technicians are employed by independent repair shops and businesses such as truck sales and service, construction companies, mining companies, and state highway departments.
|Diesel Technology Career||Median Annual
SalaryⓘBased on research conducted by the Kentucky Center for Education and Workforce Statistics (KCEWS) in 2016 for the state of Kentucky.
|Heavy Duty Brake Mechanic||$39,743|
|Diesel Engine Mechanic||$39,743|
|Diesel Steering and Suspension Mechanic||$39,743|
|Electrical/Electronics Systems Mechanic||$39,743|
|Heavy Duty Train Mechanic||$39,743|
|Mobile Air Conditioning Mechanic||$39,743|
|Preventive maintenance Mechanic||$39,743|
|Agriculture Equipment Mechanic Helper||$39,743|
|Construction Equipment Mechanic Helper||$39,743|
|Diesel Mechanics Assistant||$39,743|
|Medium and Heavy Truck Mechanic Helper||$39,743|
|Agriculture Equipment Technician||$30,729|
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
- Associate in Applied Science Degree - General Occupational Technical Studies
- Construction Equipment Technician | Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
- Agriculture Equipment Technician | Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
- Medium and Heavy Truck Technician | Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
- Construction Equipment Mechanic Helper | Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
- Diesel Air Condition Mechanic
- Heavy Duty Brake Mechanic
- Electrical/ Electronics Systems Mechanic
- Diesel Engine Mechanic
- Heavy Duty Drive Train Mechanic
- Undercarriage Mechanic
- Agriculture Equipment Mechanic Helper | Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
- Fluid Power Mechanic
- Medium and Heavy Truck Mechanic Helper | Gainful Employment Disclosure Information
- Diesel Steering and Suspension Mechanic
- Preventative Maintenance Mechanic
- Mobile Air Conditioning Mechanic
|Heavy Duty Brake Mechanic: 12 Total credit hours|
|Undercarriage Mechanic: 12 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Diesel Engine Mechanic: 12 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Diesel Steering and Suspension Mechanic: 12 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Electrical/Electronics Systems Mechanic: 12 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Heavy Duty Train Mechanic: 12 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Mobile Air Conditioning Mechanic: 12 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Preventive maintenance Mechanic: 13 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Agriculture Equipment Mechanic Helper: 20 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Construction Equipment Mechanic Helper: 23 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Agricultural Technician: 24 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Diesel Mechanics Assistant: 27 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Medium and Heavy Truck Mechanic Helper: 30 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Agriculture Equipment Technician: 50 - 55 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Medium Heavy Truck Technician: 52 - 55 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Construction Equipment Technician: 53 - 58 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Diesel Technology- Agriculture Diesel Technician Track: 62 - 64 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Diesel Technology- Medium and Heavy Truck Technician Track: 64 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Diesel Technology- Construction Equipment Technician Track: 65 - 67 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.