What is Cosmetology and Esthetics?
The Cosmetology Program offers a variety of choices for people seeking entry-level jobs as well as currently employed individuals who wish to enhance their skills.
Knowledge of the theories of hair, skin, and nail care is coupled with practice of the various techniques used in salons.
Clinical work experience is performed on the public and students in an actual beauty salon atmosphere. Graduates also serve a six-month apprenticeship before taking the state board exam.
What are my career options?
After successful completion of the prescribed hours of instruction and the six-month apprenticeship, program graduates are eligible to take the examination administered by the Kentucky Board of Hairdressers and Cosmetology to become licensed cosmetologists.
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
|Nail Technician: 26 Total credit hours|
|Apprentice Cosmetology Instructor: 40 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Esthetician: 41 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
|Cosmetologist: 60 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS|
There are no special admission requirements for the program.
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CLIENT SERVICES DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC:
ACTC's Cosmetology Department strives to keep employees, students and patrons safe and healthy. Please read the following guidelines for the Cosmetology Department and client services.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, services will be by APPOINTMENT ONLY! NO walk-ins!
- Appointments can be made from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Please call (606) 326-0565 to schedule an appointment.
- There will be no waiting area. Please remain in your vehicles and call (606) 326-0565 when you arrive. Someone will let you know when you can come into the salon.
- Upon arrival, please wear a facial covering at all times.
- Limit to 1 person per appointment, unless you are accompanying a child under the age of 18, or the client needs assistance.
- Temperature will be taken upon arrival. If it is 100.4 or above, you will be asked to reschedule for a later date.
- If you have felt sick recently, please reschedule your appointment.
- Please wash your hands before and after your service. Hand sanitizer will be available at the front desk.
- Social Distancing at least 6 feet apart at all times from other patrons and students.