**Bullets do not have pre-determined numerical values**
1) ORIGINALITY and CREATIVITY
- Does creative research support an investigation and answer a question in an original
- Does the creative contribution promote an efficient and reliable method for solving
- Does the project demonstrate genuine ingenuity?
- Does the project show creative ability and originality in the question asked?
- Was the project completed under adult supervision or did the student work largely
- Did the student perform all project work or did someone help?
2) SCIENTIFIC METHOD
- Does the project follow the scientific method?
- Is the problem stated clearly and unambiguously?
- Are the variables clearly recognized and defined?
- If controls were necessary, did the student recognize their need and were they correctly
- Are there adequate data to support the conclusions?
- Does the student recognize the data’s limitations?
- Does the student understand the project’s ties to related research/ life applications?
- Does the student have an idea what further research is warranted?
- Did the student cite scientific literature or only popular literature?
-OR- TECHNICAL DESIGN
- Is there a clear objective?
- Is the solution workable and economically feasible?
- Could the solution be utilized successfully in design or construction of an end project?
- Is the solution a significant improvement over other alternatives?
- Has the solution been tested for performance under conditions of us?
- How completely was the project covered?
- Are the conclusions based on more than one experiment or replication?
- Do project notes, record books, and displays include a title, statement of purpose,
and design of the experiment?
- Is the student aware of other approaches or theories?
- How much time did the student spend on the project?
4) SKILL and CLARITY
- How clearly does the student discuss the project and explain purpose, procedure, and
- How clearly are the data presented?
- How clearly are the results presented?
- How well does the display explain the project?
5) APPROVAL FORMS and RECORD (DATA) NOTEBOOK
- Did the project follow all guidelines and protocols ser forth by the SRC and/or IRB?
- Is the student’s record book available for judges to examine?
(Note: Absence of record book, or approval forms WILL affect judging outcomes)