Costs and Financial Aid

Federal College Work Study (FCWS)

The Federal College Work-Study Program provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study whenever possible.

How much can I earn?

The KCTCS College you attend will process your Federal College Work-Study eligibility and present it to you in a Financial Aid Package. Your Federal College Work-Study wages will be at least the current federal minimum wage ($7.25 per hour). Your total Federal College Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the FCWS Program funding level for 2010-2011 Academic Year.

Are the Federal College Work-Study jobs on Campus or off campus?

Both. Most FCWS jobs are on a KCTCS college campus, but there is a possibility that some FCWS jobs will be located in a private nonprofit organization or public agency, and the work performed would be off campus and in the public interest.

How am I paid?

The amount you earn can't exceed your total Federal College Work-Study award as calculated in your Financial Aid Package. The KCTCS College you attend will consider your class schedule and other personal obligations when assigning work hours. FCWS wages are paid two weeks in arrears on the 15th and the 30th of each month. You may participate in FWS as long as you maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress and meet all other FWS eligibility requirements.