Education Benefits

The US Department of Veterans Affairs administers various education programs that provide benefits to veterans, service members, and some dependents of disabled or deceased veterans who want to pursue an education. A description of each program and eligibility information is available at the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you need additional assistance, you may call the US DVA toll free at 1-888-GI BILL (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.

Applying for Benefits

  • If you have never received education benefits, you must submit an application to the US DVA for a determination of eligibility. It may take up to 12 weeks for the DVA to process your application and notify you of their determination.
  • If you have received VA education benefits before, but are now changing either your school or your program (major), you must submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training and provide a copy of your request to the Veterans Services Coordinator.
  • If you unable to apply online, you may obtain paper forms from the Veterans Services Coordinator.
  • For additional college processing requirements, please see Steps to Process Federal Veterans Education Benefits.

Kentucky Tuition Waiver Program

A waiver of tuition is an education benefit provided by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in recognition of military service of certain disabled or deceased Kentucky veterans. The tuition waiver is provided for children, stepchildren, adopted children, spouses, and un-remarried widows & widowers. An approved tuition waiver means a student may attend two-year or four-year schools, or vocational technical schools that are operated and funded by the Kentucky Department of Education. 

Additional information about the tuition waiver program and how to apply is available at Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs.